It was a BEE intense weekend. My cohort in honey, Tari Delici, and I attended a two hour session to think through how to install our bees in high winds and variable weather patterns. Last year I lost two queens setting them in hives with high winds in April. We also moved the hive locations to receive better sunlight during winter months.
After four hours of work to set up our new hives, we finished relocating our four boxes in the pasture. Tari and I mowed, sawed wood splints, lovingly opened our bee packages, and the installation was complete. We were rewarded by thousands of bees circling the air, as they established their territory. This pasture in Chicago became alive with potential.